Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A Night at the Palais Royal


This is a quick look at what I saw last night. I am Alice in a wonderland. Last night I stood on the stage of the beautiful and famous Palais Royal. This is the home of La Comedie Francaise. I had met Annette the night before and she gave me a tour of backstage, the waiting room, dressing room, and then later I watched a play by Anton Tchekhov. A tale of 3 women and their love for a man, unworthy. It was 3 1/2 hours long..a night swimming in drama.

What priviledge! I know its hard to imagine. But last night I realized that americans do not normally come to see the plays because they are in french. There I sat, expecting to understand very little..but bit by bit it started sinking in. In just one meeting with Christian, my actor friend, I have slipped into a bit of the underground of parisian life. The other parisians that I know respond with "Bof! Leona, you are seeing what even the parisians do not see!" Oh, this is how I know how fortunate I am. My teacher at the alliance francaise ( my school) has a hard time believing that I am invited. How I irritate the french!!!!