Saturday, April 23, 2005

Fade to gray...

Is it the weather or me? The color gray seems so appealing. It doesn't make much noise and is a good space for thoughts. I was wondering why it was so quiet in my apartment. Now I know its because I am in an old buidling. All the others around me are big and new apartments by comparison. Here,the walls are really thick. Crazy thick. If you tapped on the walls your knuckles would bruise! It's a gray building. It makes very little noise.

You see, the big problem with Paris is the bruit..the noise..il y a des bruit partout...the cars, the voices, the everything..its busy out there..but here in Boulogne its very quiet. So quiet that a friend said, Leona, you live all alone in Boulogne! There is no one else here! Ah yes, Boulogne is also gray...in a good way. The streets are void of the usual rift raft of la centre ville.

In the midst of the gray..
the quiet, not the color of the day,
there are the birds.
They sing. They are my bruit!
I have a suitor
who is always just out of sight,
he sings to me
in the morning
and just before night.
He is clever to know when to peek in
and when to go,
because he is always heard
and never seen..
he is my bit of green :)